Wednesday, January 14, 2009

How to stop excess anxiety on soon 3hr airplane flight

How to stop excess anxiety on soon 3hr airplane flight?
Sometimes in flight I worry about having a heart problem even though I don't and my doctor said mine is fine. I do have diagnosed anxiety/depression (Generalized Anxiety Disorder and OCD) and mild depression because of it and take about 40mg fluoxetine (Prozac generic) daily which has helped a lot. I'm soon going with my family on an airplane trip and don't want my heart to beat too fast on the airplane but ironically this worry/focus makes it beat faster haha. I had this worry before and made it fine on a 7hr Tokyo to Honolulu flight and this time it'll be a 3hr Minneapolis to San Antonio flight. What can I do to be less anxious about my heart and have more positive focus? That is my only anxiety is that I'll have problems like that on the flight.
Air Travel - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
There are several prescription and over the counter remedies for anxiety disorders, the best of which I have only used recreationally, but Xanax is prescribed for it. A stiff drink usually knocks out any reservations I feel when flying, I usually am the only one cheering on the turbulence, but then again, I was the only one laughing while the guy hit the prop in the movie titanic.
2 :
I'd use dramamine since it helps with motion sickness and calms the body down quite a bit.
3 :
The only permanent solution is removing the root of your fears. Maybe psycho-therapy. A quick fix is of course a stiff drink or some beers before boarding the plane. However, I'm not an expert and I doubt that other posters here are. You should discuss this with your doctor.

Search News